header

header

Monday, January 23, 2012

Faux (but you wouldn't know) Flowers


I have been wanting to make some fabric flowers for a scarf, but at the moment I'm working on a wreath for Valentine's Day.  Wreath post to come later.  For now, here's how to make the flowers.  Cut out several different size circles of "silky" fabric.  It tends to burn & melt very easily.  I'm not sure if other fabric types will work. And clearly my circles are not exactly circular, but I thought it made my flowers look more "real."

Hold your fabric about an inch above the flame of a lit candle and rotate it.  As it gets hot, it will curl up toward your hand.  Be careful not to burn your fingers.  If your flower catches on fire (mine did several times), just blow it out.  You can remove the burned part if you want, but I left the burn on mine because I thought it looked a little more authentic.  The edges of real flowers tend to brown after a few days...  In the background are my ugly mini blinds that will soon be converted into a roman shade.  I'll post that, too.  Later.  Also, apologies for the bad lighting in the photos.  It was getting dark and I was pretending it was 1872 and I had to work by candlelight.  Or maybe I was just too lazy to turn on a light.





When you've melted the edges of all your circles, stack them on top of each other and secure them with a few stitches.  You can add beads to the center for extra embellishment.  You could also glue these together. And now they are ready for whatever you want to use them for!

1 comment:

  1. LaBri...<3 these & can't wait to try to make a few after Audrey's bedtime tonight!

    ReplyDelete