header

header

Monday, January 30, 2012

Door Decor: February Frills

I never thought I'd be "that girl" who would have seasonal decor for EVERY season.  But we all evolve into something we never thought we would.  I'm ok with evolving into festive as long as it stops there...

For this project, I started with the base of the V-day wreath-  Plumbing insulation! (I think that's what you call it, anyway) Rounded into a circle and duct taped (step 1).  This was a dollar and some change a la Home Depot.  I had looked at various craft stores for "real" wreath forms and couldn't do better on the price.  Plus, you can cut this to make it whatever size you want.

Step 2: I had some burgundy fabric that I bought to practice sewing when I got my sewing machine.  It was cheap and so scratchy I'd never use it for anything.  I think it was about $2/yard.  I used less than 1/2 yard for this.  I cut it into long strips about 2 inches wide and wrapped it around the plumbing insulation wreath form.  Secured by hot glue, of course.  Foam does not like hot glue, so you may want to use fabric glue or some other kind of adhesive.  I melted a few areas of foam.  You can't see it because it is covered by fabric.

Step 3: I cut my leftover long strips down to about 4-5 inches long.  I folded them accordion style, fanned them out and glued them onto the fabric all the way around the circle.


Step 4: I glued on faux flowers (see how to make these here) I added beads to the center of the flowers to embellish a bit.  Not that you can see them unless you're literally 2 feet in front of it.


On the door!  It isn't too "Valentiney" so I think I can get by with leaving it up there til at least the first week or so of March!  Total cost of this project: $3.  A buck and change for the wreath form, $1 for fabric, and a few cents for the hot glue.  I don't like the way the wreath doesn't really fit the wreath hook, so I think I'm going to add a white ribbon to the back and hang it from the ribbon instead.  Again, sorry for the poor lighting in the photos.  Picture-taking is one area of life that I'm clueless about and seriously lacking skills...

1 comment: