header

header

Sunday, March 18, 2012

More window coverings...

liner cut to fit blind skeleton
After making the faux roman shades for our living room, I decided to keep going with that trend for our bedroom windows.  We painted our bedroom a very calm shade of turquoise that matches almost no other color, so picking out fabric that would blend was a task... I finally found some very pretty, but a pain-in-the- *edit* to work with crushed taffeta. I wanted something a little more billowy for these window treatments.  I liked the folds that the faux shades made when they were pulled up, but I wanted them when they were down, too.  I did the skeleton of these shades the same way as the others (you can find that  here) using black out liner fabric- my real job requires some late sleeping & the sun likes to blaze in my face at 6am...  Cut the liner to fit, then cut the outer fabric about an inch wider on each side, but added 50% to the length for my fluffy folds.
outer fabric- little wider, lot longer


pinning them together to make folds
Next, I started pinning the 2 fabrics together, pretty side out.  There isn't a pretty side to the liner, so one less thing to worry about.  My windows are about 56 inches long, so I made hash marks every 8 inches down the length of the liner. 
hash marks- where to sew the folds

 I made a fold, sort of billowing out the fabric, tucked it under and pinned the fold to the hash marks to know where to sew the liner to the pretty side.  I did this 7 times for 7 folds.  Then when I had it all pinned, sewed the liner straight across with the folds pinned.  Or, as you can see in the photos, not so straight across, but the way the fabric fell, you couldn't tell it was sewn sloppily. Since I used slippery, crushed taffeta that you can't get wet, I could not use fabric glue to attach the two because the glue would show through.  However, you could if you used a sturdier fabric, which I recommend.  I personally never want to sew taffeta again.



After attaching the pretty side to the liner, I glued the back to the skeleton blinds just like the other faux roman shades I made.  I glued the blind part right on the stitch line- well, where the stitch was straight, anyway.  Again, I used some random stuff I found around the house to weight down the plastic to the fabric as the glue did its thing.  After giving it a whole hour to dry, hung it up, and taaaaaada!  LOVE.  Again, sorry for my bad photos, I swear it looks better in person.


shade down
shade up.  previously mentioned blazing sun.
 Total cost: $7/yard taffeta.  I used about 3 yards per window.  $5/yard black out liner.  I used a little under 2 yards per window.   Plastic mini blinds- $4.  So, per window it was about $35.

No comments:

Post a Comment